hist-games: Games we can talk about

Mark Waks justin at inmet.com
Wed Aug 20 05:17:02 PDT 1997

Maynard, Steven wrote:
>  Pokers ancestor was actually a card game called PRIMA (PRIMEO?) which I
> beleive was a 15c Itallian card game. There was an article on it in a
> recent Tournaments Illuminated, which I unfortunately don't have at hand
> at the monment.

Well, bear in mind that although Poker and Primero do share some flavor,
the relationship is far from clear; I think the TI article overstates
the case a little bit. (Although Primero is certainly the nearest thing
there is to a Poker-like game.) Another reconstruction of Primero is
available off of the Period Games Homepage...