hist-games: Re: Games we can talk about

Mark Waks justin at inmet.com
Wed Aug 20 05:14:49 PDT 1997

David Levy wrote:
> (2) Be careful about equating Reversi and Othello. Yes, in the 1890's a
> board game was invented (simultaneously by two different people!) called
> Reversi which is virtually identical to Othello. But there is a very old
> card game variously called Reversy, Reversi and Reversis. The earliest
> reference I have seen is "Le plaisant jeu du reversy des dames, ou le doux
> entretien des bonnes compagnies. Paris: Claude Gouralt. 1634." I have not
> studied the game. It is played with a Spanish 48 card deck minus the tens.

I learned this one quite recently from Dafydd (who I recall is on this
list). Fun game. As I recall, it is distinctive in being the only known
Renaissance trick-avoidance game...

> (4) I am very interested in Whist, if not too new for the list.

Given the ground rules Seaan has set down, Whist seems entirely
reasonable to me. And I have to admit that I'm curious about
its evolution...

> (5) Piquet, anyone? Pretty much acknowledged to be the best two handed card
> game and certainly "period", at least the 36 card version.

I teach Piquet pretty often (in the 36 card version), and yes, it's
a lot of fun, a card game that really works well for two. The only
problem is that some people find it a little intimidating at first,
since it has a number of phases; if I can coax them through a game
or two, though, they generally pick it up quickly...

> (6) Trictrac anyone? This French relative of Ticktack is certainly period
> and has been occupying much of my attention lately. If there is interest, I
> have a pretty good bibliography and am working to get the rules down in
> English. To my knowledge, there has never been anything written in English
> about Trictrac. I would love to be proved wrong.

So would I. Anything anyone wants to write on this subject would be more
than welcomed on the Period Games page (which is currently far too
Anglophilic)...

> (7) After Trictrac, my next projects are going to be Ombre and Ecarte, not
> necessarily in that order. Any interest?

I have something of a love-hate relationship with Ombre. The game sounds
really neat, but the sources I've seen indicate that l'Ombre Renegado
(what we generally think of as Ombre) is mildly after SCA period,
unfortunately. But it *certainly* is appropriate for the list, as
described...