hist-games: Games we can talk about.

Martin Hungerford jongleur at netcon.net.au
Tue Aug 19 17:09:14 PDT 1997

snip

>> Golf
>
>Hmm. I've forgotten -- when *did* golf start?

not sure when it started, but James Grahame, 1st Marquis of Montrose was
good at it.
>> baseball (rounders)
>
>Not baseball per se, but some ancestors.
>
>> Croquet
>
>Not per se, unfortunately -- although popular in the SCA, everything
>I've seen indicates that Croquet is 19th century. But Pall Mall, a
>somewhat similar ancestor, is period.
>
>> Cricket
>
>No clue how old Cricket is, although I doubt it's period...
It may be period. Apparently there were rules in some monastries about
the playing of cricket by the monks. This would suggest a 14th/15th C
time when the wool trade boomed.

>> Whist
>
>Not quite, although it's a close descendent of some period games.
>
>> Poker
>
>Nowhere near, as far as I can tell -- 19th century.
card games based on the tarot deck... did they exist?

>> Cribbage
>
>More or less period.
>
>> Rummy
>
>No clue -- where does Rummy come from?
>
>> The list was getting very slow....
>
>True, although I'm hoping volume stays modest, although steady. I have
>enough lists that deluge me with junk mail -- hopefully this one will
>stay relevant...
>
>				-- Justin
Hear, hear!

Martin Hungerford