hist-games: Early playing card recommendations

Mark Waks justin at inmet.com
Mon Jul 21 09:25:25 PDT 1997

Seaan writes:
>   There are a number of "show decks" dating around 1650-1700 produced by the
>London Guildhall Library (in association with the above mentioned guild).  I
>have "Arms of English Peers; 1688" and "Morden's Playing Cards; 1676".

Which reminds me of a tangent I'm curious about: has anyone seen
*anything* indicating that these sorts of show decks might be SCA
period (pre-1600, or at least pre-1650)? They're a concept I'm
quite fond of, and I suspect would be fun to play with, but it isn't
clear to me whether it's appropriate or not...

				-- Justin

Random Quote du Jour:

"What did I do to deserve this?"
"How long a list would you like?"