hist-brewing: strength of small beer

Will H w_hanrott at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 5 02:07:52 PST 2012

Hi Wade/Gille,

Thank you. That answers the question nicely. It sounds as if 3.5% isn't
outlandish but the range for small beer would have contained much
variability, depending on who and when it was produced. I've seen
allowances of a gallon or more per day for relatively senior people (I
can't provide references though). Perhaps they kept a number of people
on that volume.

I'll take a look through Harrison in due course.

Many thanks
Will