hist-brewing: strength of small beer

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Tue Dec 4 06:37:18 PST 2012

In brewing the beer described in Harrison's Description of England
(1577) http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1577harrison-england.asp#Chapter
VI
Which is a 3 beer party-gyle brew, I've found the third, small beer
comes out at 2% ABV, or just below that.    Remember, this is with
modern, well-modified malts.   Harrison's home-made malt may have had
lower modification, and produced an even lower level of alcohol.   For
comparison, the first wort comes out at about 8%, the middle (or
ordinary) comes out at about 4.5%.   Note that Harrison describes the
third runnings to "reserveth it unto mixture with the rest when time
doth serve therefore."  so it wasn't even consumed by the servants at
that low a strength.    Even with modern, careful sanitation and
bottling the small beer goes sour in just a couple of weeks.    Hope
this helps,
     -----wade hutchison, aka Gille MacDhnouill