hist-brewing: strength of small beer

Will w_hanrott at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 02:36:03 PST 2012

What was the strength of small beer?

I was watching an /entertaining/ tv programme (The Supersizers
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supersizers...>) which repeated the
claim that small beer was about 3.5%abv. This seems rather high, more
like a table beer.

Amsinck
<http://prism.talis.com/brookes/items?query=author%3A%28Amsinck%2C+George+Stewart%29>'s
recipe for Oxford Ale (1868) uses a triple infusion mash and party-gyle
mix. The 3rd mash made small beer. My impression is that this method was
in use over quite a long period until sparging became popular. Obviously
the definition of 'small beer' is going to be a range of OGs.

Perhaps restrain the information to the UK in the early modern period
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_modern_period>. The claim about 3.5%
was made in a programme about Restoration England.

This question is for personal rather than scholarly interest. I've had a
look at the Hist-Brewing archives but couldn't find anything which
answered my question.

Many thanks
Will