hist-brewing: Colonial era brewing recipes

jch at doctorbeer.com jch at doctorbeer.com
Mon Dec 3 13:19:05 PST 2012

 And I have degrees in Botany and Plant Breeding. The problem is that
 most people aren't as careful as you and I are, and don't properly
 research which plant is which (from a genus species perspective).  They
 merely go by the common name, believing that these are immutable and
 constant. But the plant in England that the English called "alehoof" in
 the Middle Ages might be completely different from what is called
 "alehoof" here in the U.S. today. I believe that this was probably the
 case with my friend's homebrew (misidentification).

 Another problem is the alcohol extraction, which can exacerbate the ill
 effects of some unusual ingredients. I'm also a judge in the BJCP, and
 I've judged many a homebrew competition. Several times I've encountered
 brews with non-standard ingredients (such as valerian) that made the
 judging panel ill.

 A third problem is that some of these plants have active ingredients,
 and the dosing levels have never been worked out. I've done a bit of
 research (including practical research on myself) on common medicinal
 plants. Based on my own experience, I will never, EVER use herbal
 medicines (again). It's just too dangerous.

 I therefore stand by my advice to make old recipes with modern,
 commonly-accepted brewing ingredients.

 Best,
 -- Joyce