hist-brewing: ancient ale

Baden,Doug baden at oclc.org
Fri Mar 5 09:23:21 PST 2010

You are very correct about the broom over the door.  I have LOTS of
documentation about that.  Alewives were very real :).

I was teaching a class on brewing (for SCA folks, it was a Pennsic) and
I happened to have a few guys there that decided to make their house
into a brewery from the attic (fermenting and cooling) down.  They also
tried to make beer with wild yeast (literally cut slats in the attic and
let the air flow do the work).  Their thought was that the best
fermenting yeast would push out the rest over time, say a year or two.
They started making beer and it surprised them greatly that in two
months it was a passable beer and in three it was very good.

I am leaving a lot out, but the gist is that the wood harbored the yeast
that was the strongest without special equipment.  There have been other
experiments of this sort and they all bore the same fruit.

Doug/Arundel

When I see the words "And it is obvious that...", I know I have many
hours of hard work to "see" the obvious.