hist-brewing: ancient ale

Merryn Dineley merryn at dineley.com
Fri Mar 5 01:53:16 PST 2010

In the Western Isles of Scotland, they stirred the wort with a hazel
stick or wand; it had dried yeast on it, the result of being used to
stir previous brews. I think there was a tradition to hang the
'wand'over the front door, to tell everyone that a brew in on, but not
entirely sure on this.

In our house, where brewing went on for over twenty years, orange juice
would start to ferment overnight from the wild yeasts 'in the air' I guess.

Egyptian pots used for brewing had traces of yeast on the inside
surfaces - making it a 'magic pot' - when you put the wort into it, it
ferments.

On a recent demonstration, where we mashed using hot rocks in a wooden
tub, again, the mash had begun to ferment by the morning.
Merryn