hist-brewing: German books with beer instructions

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 27 06:33:23 PST 2010

One of the biggest problems trying to reproduce beer from pre 1600 is the complete lack of recipes.
Well I stumbled across four books in the digital collection of the Bavarian library which may help: they are listed below.  I haven't gone through them yet to see if they are all the same book, just reprints or if each one contains unique information.  However, it is a start.  They are all available to view online or download as a PDF at: http://daten.digitale-sammlungen.de/~db/ausgaben/uni_ausgabe.html?projekt=1174066449
Helewyse.

Koch- und Kellerey von allen Speisen. - Franckfurt am Meyn, 1544
Signatur: Res/4 Oecon. 209
[2008-08-05]
URN: urn:nbn:de:bvb:12-bsb00025628-3

Koch- und Kellerey von allen Speisen. - Franckfurt am Meyn, 1537
Signatur: 4 Oecon. 208
[2009-01-29]
URN: urn:nbn:de:bvb:12-bsb00027277-4

Kocherey und Kellermeisterey von allen Speisen und Getrenken. - Frankfurt a. M., 1557
Signatur: 4 A.gr.c. 35
[2008-04-25]
URN: urn:nbn:de:bvb:12-bsb00015958-7

Kocherey von allen Speisen unnd Getrenken. - Straßburg, 1581
Signatur: Oecon. 1004
[2009-01-19]
URN: urn:nbn:de:bvb:12-bsb00034005-6