hist-brewing: List not replying properly

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Fri Feb 26 15:13:40 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 03:50:39PM -0700, leaking pen wrote:

> From some replys ive gotten, and my own experience on this list,
> replies seem to be going to the person who posted first, unless i copy
> and past the hist-brewing address into the to field.  ANyone else?

This is intentional. Most mailers have a "group reply" or "reply all"
button you can use. The mailer I use recognizes mailing lists and
helps me make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Doing it this way, if you screw up you'll email 1 person instead of
the list. That's what you've seen.

Doing it the other way, if you screw up, you'll send a private message
to the whole list. Over the past 25 years I've collected many a
scandalous message thanks to folks trying to send privately to a
friend and not noticing it was a friend's post to a mailing list that
they replied to. I have embarrassed myself a couple of times.

Debates about which method is better go back to the first email lists,
long before I started using the Internet/NSFNet/ArpaNet. It's only in
the past decade, thanks to Yahoo Groups, that a majority of lists are
reply-to-list.

So: Please remember to reply-to-all on this list, and if you get a
private message which seems like it might belong on the list, please
remind the sender. And I'm sorry if any messages go astray as a result
of folks not noticing.

-- greg