hist-brewing: ancient ale

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Thu Feb 25 17:27:19 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:55:51AM -0500, Daniel Butler-Ehle wrote:

> However, it was suggested to me many years ago that the
> necessary force could be attained by just stacking logs
> or stones on top of the upper pressing plate until the
> fruit yields its juice. *Thwack forehead*

Or you could use a lever. "Give me a long enough lever and a place to
stand, and I will move the earth," and all that. Not that I've talked
to any experts who've studied the era in question, but I think there
are some good books on ancient technology that might give you some
clues as to what might have been available when.

-- greg