hist-brewing: ancient ale

Martyn Cornell mcornell at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Feb 25 14:31:40 PST 2010

According to the Handbook of indigenous fermented foods by Keith Steinkraus,
limited preview here

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=VKlHKIvrogUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=intit
le:indigenous+intitle:fermented+intitle:foods+inauthor:steinkraus&lr=&as_drr
b_is=q&as_minm_is=0&as_miny_is=&as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=&num=20&as_brr=0&cd=
2#v=onepage&q=&f=false

traditionally, chicha is made by grinding dried maize kernels, then slightly
moistening the flour and making it into balls which are popped into the
mouth rather than the corn being "cooked to a mush." It can't be a "mush"
because you couldn't press a "mush" to the roof of your mouth and pop out a
disc of salivated corn paste, the "muko", which is what happens in the
"chewing" stage of chicha making.

Even if malted grains contain more of the necessary enzymes to bring about
saccharinification than saliva, there must be a good reason why Andean
Indians continue to use chewing as a saccharinification starter, rather than
malting. Nobody here seems to have addressed that question.

I talk about the idea that salivary amylase was also a plausible pre-malting
route to beer in the Fertile Crescent using cereal grains here:

http://zythophile.wordpress.com/2009/10/15/beer-not-the-oldest-drink-in-the-
world/

Mothers would have chewed ground starchy food to give to their babies as
they weaned them, food which would have become sweet and more palateable to
the baby as the enzymes in the mother¹s saliva worked on the barley
starches. Doubtless the busy mothers would have prepared some pre-chewed
food in advance, which they would have dried to store, and then soaked
before giving it to their young child. Yeasts falling on soaking sweet muko
would have fermented the sugars quickly in the Middle Eastern heat, and beer
is born Š

So: you don't need to malt to make beer, and as others have said already,
pre-pottery technology was perfectly capable of providing the vessels to
make beer: even storing beer is possible in organic containers, vide the
Zulu "beer basket":

http://reviews.ebay.com/Zulu-Beer-Baskets-from-Africa_W0QQugidZ1000000000116
0304