hist-brewing: ancient ale

Daniel Butler-Ehle dwbutler at mtu.edu
Tue Feb 23 19:11:14 PST 2010

Will Hanrott <w_hanrott at yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Mr Butler-Ehle commented that Amylase is present in malted grain as well as saliva and
> that the concentrations are considerably greater in the latter.

I believe I said the opposite.

> Since salivary amylase works well at body temperature

And malt amylase works well at soil temperature--that's how
the grain gets its energy.  By the way, salivary amylase
is also alpha-amylase.

> Merryn Dineley commented below that it wouldn't be wise to chew
> grain.

Chicha isn't made from corn/maize everywhere.  In some places,
manioc root, which is quite chewable, is the main ingredient.
(However, manioc must thoroughly washed--or even pounded to a
pulp and then washed--or else it's toxic.)  Corn is generally
cooked to soften it before chewing.  Still, Chicha women tend
to develop very strong jaw muscles (and very worn teeth).

Dan Butler-Ehle

, and that can b

This is fair, if you assume that you're using the high dried grain that we're accustomed to. If, however, it was crushed and soaked first in a pestle (or grinding rock) then it might not cause you injury.

I am still neither a biochemist nor an archaeologist. This thread has been very interesting and I hope that you'll take my comments in the vein that they are made.

Regards,
Will