hist-brewing: ancient ale

Will Hanrott w_hanrott at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 23 05:16:58 PST 2010

I've been meaning to get back onto this thread. My comments about chewing the grain were a bit speculative but I don't think that the responses adequately rule the possibility out.

Mr Butler-Ehle commented that Amylase is present in malted grain as well as saliva and that the concentrations are considerably greater in the latter. This is fair, but optimal temperature and time matters as well as concentrations. We have seen that Amylase is a general term for enzymes which convert starch to sugars. There are two very different types in grain with different optimal temperatures. Since salivary amylase works well at body temperature I remain unconvinced -from those arguments- that it lacks efficacy.

Merryn Dineley commented below that it wouldn't be wise to chew grain. This is fair, if you assume that you're using the high dried grain that we're accustomed to. If, however, it was crushed and soaked first in a pestle (or grinding rock) then it might not cause you injury.

I am still neither a biochemist nor an archaeologist. This thread has been very interesting and I hope that you'll take my comments in the vein that they are made.

Regards,
Will