hist-brewing: ancient brewing (Daniel Butler-Ehle)

MadTaz1 at aol.com MadTaz1 at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 05:47:01 PST 2010

I like beer but this is one old school tradition I will pass on!

In a message dated 2/18/2010 9:43:53 A.M. Central Standard Time,
wilypig at gmail.com writes:

The  process is still used in Central and South America for the making of  a
fermented corn beverage. The corn is chewed the spit into a communal  vessel
then is allowed to ferment.

*Chicha*, a pale yellow, milky  drink common throughout Latin America,
originated with the Incas, who used  the drink during festivals and other
rituals. Nowadays, *chicha* remains an  important part of the region’s
indigenous past, and can be found in a  variety of settings, from the dinner
table to a wedding  or

baptism!
A Culinary Tradition

Traditionally, Inca women  made this important drink by chewing corn to a
pulp and then spitting the  mixture into a vat of warm water. These women
(actually girls of ages  8-10), called Acllas or Acllacunas, were sent to
all-female schools called  Acllahuasis to learn the art of brewing *chicha*,
among other  things.

Once the corn was masticated and spit into the warm water, it  would sit for
a few days before it was ready to drink. The end result was a  mildly
alcoholic beverage.

Read more at Suite101: Chicha - Drink  of the Incas: Latin America's
Fermented Corn Drink and the Fiesta de  la
Jora<http://beverages.suite101.com/article.cfm/chicha#ixzz0fu20O5aQ>

--
Ric Cunningham
Wilypig Brewing