hist-brewing: ancient brewing

Ramesh sramesh.sramesh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 09:33:52 PST 2010

There is a good book called "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The
Secrets of Ancient Fermentation" which goes through a number of the
different traditional beers which use a variety of methods to create
sugars from starches.

I think there are three methods that are traditionally used:

1. Maltng, which is basically sprouting a seed, and using the enzymes
produced by the sprout to convert starch to sugar. This is the way
most beer gets brewed today

2. Natural fungii that convert starch into sugar. There are many
fungii that naturally convert starch into sugar, and were
traditionally encouraged, along with yeast. This is the way most sake
gets brewed today.

3. Using saliva to convert starch to sugar. For instance this was what
was used for many root beers, such as manioc beer. The author says
these beers were traditionally around 5%, and talks about a number of
experiences of tasting them. According to the methods of making these
beers described in the book, saliva was added by chewing the product
initially, but not added during the brewing process.

I have been brewing a number of herbal brews from the ideas in that
book, though I have to admit I start with sugar (either a malted
barley, or an actual sugar) - they have been surprisingly good.

Cheers,
Ramesh