hist-brewing: ancient brewing (Daniel Butler-Ehle)

Ric Cunningham wilypig at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 07:43:44 PST 2010

The process is still used in Central and South America for the making of a
fermented corn beverage. The corn is chewed the spit into a communal vessel
then is allowed to ferment.

*Chicha*, a pale yellow, milky drink common throughout Latin America,
originated with the Incas, who used the drink during festivals and other
rituals. Nowadays, *chicha* remains an important part of the region’s
indigenous past, and can be found in a variety of settings, from the dinner
table to a wedding or

baptism!
A Culinary Tradition

Traditionally, Inca women made this important drink by chewing corn to a
pulp and then spitting the mixture into a vat of warm water. These women
(actually girls of ages 8-10), called Acllas or Acllacunas, were sent to
all-female schools called Acllahuasis to learn the art of brewing *chicha*,
among other things.

Once the corn was masticated and spit into the warm water, it would sit for
a few days before it was ready to drink. The end result was a mildly
alcoholic beverage.

Read more at Suite101: Chicha - Drink of the Incas: Latin America's
Fermented Corn Drink and the Fiesta de la
Jora<http://beverages.suite101.com/article.cfm/chicha#ixzz0fu20O5aQ>

--
Ric Cunningham
Wilypig Brewing