hist-brewing: ancient brewing (Daniel Butler-Ehle)

Will H w_hanrott at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 18 07:00:07 PST 2010

I'd like to suggest another possible route to access the sugars: Salivary
Amylase.

Amylase works at considerably lower temperatures than mashing and can be
added to a 'mash' by chewing the bread/grain. I'd need a
biologist/biochemist to back this up, but I believe that the enzyme is not
degraded easily within it's temperature range and so can continue working
slowly even at ambient temperatures.

My major concern about this method would be contamination by the other
microbes in the human mouth.

Here's my disclaimer - I haven't tried this and it isn't based on historical
research. This is conjecture but it doesn't seem totally far-fetched.
Perhaps someone on this group can say whether there is any current or
historical evidence for being done.

Cheers,
Will