hist-brewing: ancient brewing

neophytesg at aol.com neophytesg at aol.com
Mon Feb 15 12:35:25 PST 2010

So a question from the more professional brewers...care to guess how often a
brew would go bad? I can't help thinking "most of the time"!

You're not comparing apples and apples.  What we think of as beer is a vastly different beverage than what is/was made in primitive cultures.  Early beers were consumed *very* young, were flat, were sweeter (no hops or gruits) and had significantly lower alcohol content ... no such thing as "aging".  As such, the risk of batches going south was lower than you're thinking.  By the time of the Egyptians (not *that* much higher tech level) they were successfully producing beer in vast quantities as part of the pay for the Pyramid builders.  If the beer-making process was ever so fickle as you imagine, they'd never have risked such a precious commodity as grain just to get an occasional success.  Also keep in mind that there was no such thing as a thermometer until the 1600's and mankind has successfully made beer for centuries without them.

Warm Regards
Shawn

Religion is for those who fear Hell; Spirituality is for those who have been there.