hist-brewing: ancient brewing

John P. Looney valen at tuatha.org
Mon Feb 15 10:51:07 PST 2010

Bah. That last message sent prematurely.

I was trying to explain how hard it is to heat water to the right
temperature. Once hot, how do you keep it there? Assuming 5000BCE tech, you
don't have much option other than a ground pit that is waterproofed with
well fitted stone. The loss of heat must have been considerable.

Not to mention the vagaries of wild yeasts, sterilization of fermentation
vessels etc.

So a question from the more professional brewers...care to guess how often a
brew would go bad? I can't help thinking "most of the time"!

John

On 12 Feb 2010 10:42, "Merryn Dineley" <merryn at dineley.com> wrote:

hello there,

Thought I would pass on this to the list, web page of my research:-

> http://independent.academia.edu/MerrynDineley

My publications have been in obscure conference proceedings, but I shall
now put it all on the web. I have been investigating ancient malting &
brewing for some time now - I am told by eminent archaeology professors
that this is controversial research, that it is somehow wrong and that
there is no evidence for malting or brewing in prehistory.

I think this is because few people today understand the malting,
mashing, fermentation process. So, what do you brewers think?

I reckon malting goes back to the earliest agriculturalists, ten
thousand years ago in the ancient near east, maybe five or six thousand
years ago in the UK. Once you can make the wort/malt sugars, the beer
bit is easy!

If you have time, have a look at my site. I am happy to receive
criticism/comments via the list or off list.

very best wishes
Merryn Dineley.