hist-brewing: ancient brewing

Merryn Dineley merryn at dineley.com
Fri Feb 12 02:41:41 PST 2010

hello there,

Thought I would pass on this to the list, web page of my research:-

> http://independent.academia.edu/MerrynDineley

My publications have been in obscure conference proceedings, but I shall
now put it all on the web. I have been investigating ancient malting &
brewing for some time now - I am told by eminent archaeology professors
that this is controversial research, that it is somehow wrong and that
there is no evidence for malting or brewing in prehistory.

I think this is because few people today understand the malting,
mashing, fermentation process. So, what do you brewers think?

I reckon malting goes back to the earliest agriculturalists, ten
thousand years ago in the ancient near east, maybe five or six thousand
years ago in the UK. Once you can make the wort/malt sugars, the beer
bit is easy!

If you have time, have a look at my site. I am happy to receive
criticism/comments via the list or off list.

very best wishes
Merryn Dineley.