hist-brewing: Rowan ale

mprilla at comcast.net mprilla at comcast.net
Mon Jan 7 00:59:55 PST 2008

Well Guys thanks for your help.  I have located some Rowan berry's and I will be brewing my clone soon.

This is my Final recipe and as soon as the Rowanberry's arive I shall brew it.  Based on reviews by Michael Jackson and by Stephen Beaumont and information available at Biddy Early as to the ingredients in this beer I have come up with this recipe.

I have located 2 Oz of Fraothogs/Rowanberrys at www.ravensnestherbals.com the owner is Terry Cochran nativesnowbird at yahoo.com and anyone wishing to get Fraothogs/Rowanberrys in order to brew this beer can do so from her for a reasonable price.  The Rowanberry's will be used some during the boil and some as a dry spice addition to the secondary.  I am going to use them like juniper berries are used in many beer recipes because Rowan berry's are very bitter and are used in lew of hops for flavor and aroma even though some bittering hops are used in this recipe.  If anyone cannot get hops at all then they can use more Rowanberry's 1 Oz at 60 min and 1 Oz at 30 min of the boil and not use hops at all for a pure gruit type ale.  Possibly even adding more Heather and Sweet Gale/bog Mytle at those times during the boil as well.  This can be a flexible recipe for those people who cannot locate hops due to the hop shortage though as written it is intended to be a Replicator/Clone of "Red Bi
ddy".

Please note unlike most Americans I don't make 5 gallon batchs I make 6.5 gallon batchs and this is a partial mash recipe.  I can supply an extract with specialty grain recipe or an all grain version upon request.

Thanks for all your help.

Red Biddy Replicator/Clone

Recipe by Mike Prilla

Batch Size (Gal):              6.50       Wort Size (Gal):    6.50
Total Grain (Lbs):             9.69
Anticipated OG:               1.050     Plato:             12.39
Anticipated FG.               1.012 ?
Anticipated SRM:            13.3
Anticipated IBU:              21.5
Brewhouse Efficiency:      75 %
Wort Boil Time:               60    Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
   %     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
 82.6     8.00 lbs. MountMellick LME    Ireland              1.035      7  This is two cans  of 4 lb unhopped light malt extract from MountMellick an Irish malt
  2.6      0.25 lbs. Melanoidin Malt          Germany           1.033     35
  0.7     1.00 oz. Scottish Peated Malt     Scotland            1.038      5
  0.7     1.00 oz. Chocolate Malt            Great Britain       1.034    475
  0.7     1.00 oz. Roasted Barley             Great Britain      1.029    575
  5.2     0.50 lbs. Crystal 55L                  Great Britian      1.034     55
  7.7     0.75 lbs. Maris Otter                  Great Britain    & ;nbs p; ; 1.038     ;  3
             4 oz.     Malto-Dextrine

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops and spices
   Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
  0.50 oz.    Challenger                        Pellet     7.50    14.2  60 min
  1.00 Oz     Heather                           Spice                        60 Min

  0.50 oz.    Challenger                        Pellet     7.50     7.2  30 min.

  1.00 Oz     Heather                           Spice                         15 Min
  0.75 Oz     Fraothogs/Rowanberrys  Spice                          15 Min
  1.00 Oz     Bitter Orange Peel           Spice                         15 Min
  1.00 g        Sweet Gale/bog Mytle     Herb                          15 Min
  1tsp           Irish Moss or 1 Whirlflock tablet     Fining          15 Min

  1.00 Oz     Heather                           Spice                          5 Min
  0.75 Oz     Fraothogs/Rowanberrys  Spice                           5 Min
  1.00 Oz     Bitter Orange Peel           Spice                          5 Min
  1.00 g        Sweet Gale/bog Mytle     Herb                           5 Min

  1.00 Oz     Heather                           Spice                          Dry in secondary
  0.5   Oz     Fraothogs/Rowanberry    Fruit                            Added to Secondary

Yeast Use one of the following
-----
White Labs WLP004 Irish ale yeast or Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast

Water Profile Use Dublin water emulation from Grape and Grainery in Ohio it makes distilled water into Dublin water.  I'm rather proud of the fact that I e-mailed them and asked them to make water emulations available to us and they did. Sometimes feedback from homebrewers gets results.
-------------
Profile:           Dublin
Profile known for: Dk Lager, Dry Stout
Calcium(Ca):                118.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg):               4.0 ppm
Sodium(Na):                   12.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4):                  54.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl):                  19.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3):   319.0 ppm
pH: 8.33

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Multi Step
Grain Lbs:    1.69
Water Qts:    1.69 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal:    0.42 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Protein Rest Temp :              122  Time:  25
Saccharification Rest Temp : 152  Time:  90
Mash-out Rest Temp :          169  Time:  10
Sparge Temp :                      169  Time:  90

Total Mash Volume Gal: 0.56 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Boil Malto-Dextrine and the wort with the hops only do not add the liquid malt extract at this time.  Add the 2 cans of Liquid malt extract at flameout this will ensure that your hops and herbs get more extraction than if you boiled a thick wort and be a part of the cooling process when you do add the cans of liquid malt extract.

Strain and cool to 65 to 68 F add some kind of yeast nutrient there are many types, airate well and start fermentation at 65 - 68 F in the primary for 3 to 7 days or until primary fermentation has subsided.

Rack to secondary leaving trub behind and add 1 oz heather,  0.5 oz. Fraothogs/Rowanberrys and 20 drops of Pectic Enzyme.  Let sit in the secondary for 1 month or until the secondary fermentation has completed.

1 week before bottling fine with KC Super Kleer finings.

Bottle with 11.5 oz wheat dried malt extract at temperature of 68 F

Let bottles sit at room temperature for 2 to 3 weeks to carbonate then cool down in the refrigerator for at least 2 weeks before consuming.