hist-brewing: Rowan ale

John P. Looney valen at tuatha.org
Sat Jan 5 14:41:07 PST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 7:40 PM, Jeff Renner <jsrenner at umich.edu> wrote:

> It might be a good idea to cook them first, as the Wikipedia article
> on rowan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan says:
> Rowan berries contain sorbic acid, an acid that takes its name from
> the Latin name of the genus Sorbus. Raw berries also contain
> parasorbic acid (about 0.4%-0.7% in the European rowan[3]), which
> causes indigestion and can lead to kidney damage, but heat treatment
> (cooking, heat-drying etc.) and, to a lesser extent, freezing,
> neutralises it, by changing it to the benign sorbic acid.

 Something to remember; some people add Sorbic acid to sweet meads to stop
after-bottling fermentation. Though I don't think there is enough sorbic
acid in a few handfuls of rowan berries to completely stop fermentation in
an ale...might be a way to keep an ale sweet and sour!

John

--
triad 238: Trí luchra ata mesa: luchra tuinde, luchra mná bóithe, luchra
confoléimnige.