hist-brewing: (no subject)

mprilla at comcast.net mprilla at comcast.net
Thu Jan 3 16:58:49 PST 2008

Hi you guys don't know me and what I am about to ask may sound strange.  I am a homebrewer and there is a very rare beer brewed in an Irish Brewpub in Ireland with Fraothogs AKA Rowanberrys and I live in the USA.  So I can't get that beer (Red Biddy) and I also have no idea where to get Fraothogs/Rowanberrys either.  I am trying to make a recipe for this beer and I can get all the ingredients at any homebrew store either locally or on-line except of course the Fraothogs/Rowanberrys.  Can you help me and tell me where I might find some of these.  I also have no idea how much of them I would need.  I doubt it would be any more than 3 lbs and it's very likely to be far less than that possibly only  a few ounces?  Due to the world wide hop shortage historical and herbal beers will likely be more in demand by homebrewer.    This is a clone of a real world current beer brewed in Irelands first microbrewey "Biddy Early". The beer is supposed to be a replica of what used to be brewed in Ir
eland hundreeds of years ago and it's called "Red Biddy".

Thanks

This is what I have come up with.  Please let me know if my recipe is in the ballpark or if I am barking up the wrong tree.  And where I can find Fraothogs/Rowanberrys or what to use in substition for them and how much of them to use and when to use them.  I'm not sure if they are boiled or added during the secondary or how much to use.  I am guessing as to final gravity, some malt selections and the hop and herb schedual.  Based on reviews by Michael Jackson and by Stephen Beaumont I have come up with this recipe.  I could be wrong on a lot of things in particular the Scottish peated malt addition, Melanoidin malt and the color of the crystal malt as well as the amount of chocolate malt and roasted barley and the Bitter Orange peel is based on tasting feedback it might not even be in there for all I know?  But what is really holding me back from brewing this is the Fraothogs/Rowanberrys since I have no idea where to get them in the first place.

Please note unlike most Americans I don't make 5 gallon batchs I make 6.5 gallon batchs and this is a partial mash recipe.  I could easily make an all grain or all extract recipe for this as well.

Thanks for all your help.

Red Biddy Replicator/Clone

Batch Size (Gal):              6.50       Wort Size (Gal):    6.50
Total Grain (Lbs):             9.69
Anticipated OG:               1.050     Plato:             12.39
Anticipated FG.               1.012 ?
Anticipated SRM:            13.3
Anticipated IBU:              21.5
Brewhouse Efficiency:      75 %
Wort Boil Time:               60    Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
   %     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
 82.6     8.00 lbs. Mount Mellick LME    Ireland              1.035      7  This is two cans  of 4 lb unhopped light malt extract
  2.6      0.25 lbs. Melanoidin Malt          Germany           1.033     35
  0.7     1.00 oz. Scottish Peated Malt    Scotland ;           1.038      5
  0.7     1.00 oz. Chocolate Malt            Great Britain       1.034    475
  0.7     1.00 oz. Roasted Barley             Great Britain      1.029    575
  5.2     0.50 lbs. Crystal 55L                  Great Britian      1.034     55
  7.7     0.75 lbs. Maris Otter                  Great Britain      1.038      ;  3
             4 oz.     Malto-Dextrine

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops and spices
   Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
  0.50 oz.    Challenger                        Pellet     7.50    14.2  60 min
  1.00 Oz     Heather                           Spice                        60 Min

  0.50 oz.    Challenger                        Pellet     7.50     7.2  30 min.

  1.00 Oz     Heather                           Spice                         15 Min
  1.00 Oz     Bitter Orange Peel           Spice                         15 Min
  1.00 g        Sweet Gale/bog Mytle     Herb                          15 Min
  1tsp           Irish Moss or 1 Whirlflock tablet     Fining          15 Min

  1.00 Oz     Heather                           Spice                          5 Min
  1.00 Oz     Bitter Orange Peel           Spice                          5 Min
  1.00 g        Sweet Gale/bog Mytle     Herb                           5 Min

  1.00 Oz     Heather                           Spice                          Dry in secondary
  3.00 lbs     Fraothogs/Rowanberry    Fruit                            Added to Secondary ? I don't know how much to use or where to find them?
  20 drops   Pectic Enzyme

Yeast Use one of the following
-----
White Labs WLP004 Irish ale yeast or Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast

Water Profile Use Dublin water emulation from Grape and Grainery in Ohio it makes distilled water into Dublin water.  I'm rather proud of the fact that I e-mailed them and asked them to make water emulations available to us and they did. Sometimes feedback from homebrewers gets results.
-------------
Profile:           Dublin
Profile known for: Dk Lager, Dry Stout
Calcium(Ca):         118.0 ppm
Magnesium(Mg):         4.0 ppm
Sodium(Na):           12.0 ppm
Sulfate(SO4):         54.0 ppm
Chloride(Cl):         19.0 ppm
biCarbonate(HCO3):   319.0 ppm
pH: 8.33

Mash Schedule
-------------
Mash Type: Multi Step
Grain Lbs:    1.69
Water Qts:    1.69 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal:    0.42 - Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Protein Rest Temp :              122  Time:  25
Saccharification Rest Temp : 152  Time:  90
Mash-out Rest Temp :          169  Time:  10
Sparge Temp :                      169  Time:  90

Total Mash Volume Gal: 0.56 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Boil Malto-Dextrine and the wort with the hops only do not add the liquid malt extract at this time.  Add the 2 cans of Liquid malt extract at flameout this will ensure that your hops and herbs get more extraction than if you boiled a thick wort and be a part of the cooling process when you do add the cans of liquid malt extract.

Strain and cool to 65 to 68 F add some kind of yeast nutrient there are many types, airate well and start fermentation at 65 - 68 F in the primary for 3 to 7 days or until primary fermentation has subsided.

Rack to secondary leaving trub behind and add 1 oz heather, 20 drops of pectic enzyme and 3 lbs Fraothogs/Rowanberrys.  Let sit in the secondary for 1 month or until the secondary fermentation has completed.

1 week before bottling fine with KC Super Kleer finings.

Bottle with 11.5 oz wheat dried malt extract at temperature of 68 F

Let bottles sit at room temperature for 2 to 3 weeks to carbonate then cool down in the refrigerator for 2 weeks before consuming.