hist-brewing: Hop shortages seems to be some incentive for hop growing

Bill Velek billvelek at alltel.net
Mon Nov 26 09:59:40 PST 2007

Recently there has been a pretty good rush to join my 'Grow-Hops' group
-- 34 new members in the past week to bring the total to 442 members --
with _many_ of them expressing interest primarily due to the impending
hop shortages and price increases; that is based on comments submitted
to me at the time of their membership application.

Anyway, given the circumstances, I thought I would post this message to
let folks know what we are doing -- that we are available to offer help
to anyone who wants to start into this extra dimension of homebrewing --
that our group is a valuable resource of LOTS of info on the subject,
pretty much _specializing_ in hop-gardening with a tad bit of info about
growing herbs as alternatives/supplements to hops -- and that it's
probably not too late in most areas to begin important preparations NOW
for planting in the spring.  Although it is not absolutely essential to
do things now, it will be a big help; if you're way up north and your
ground is already frozen, you'll just need to prepare your bed in the
spring.  Also, some of our members are organizing a rhizome exchange
(the rhizomes are what you plant instead of seeds), and I also have a
database set up on our webpage to facilitate exchanges of rhizomes.  And
our Links section will lead you to a _vast_ selection of all sorts of
information on the subject, plus we have lots of photos to give you
ideas on support structures such as trellises and arbors.  Without a
doubt, 'Grow-Hops' is now the best Internet resource on the subject.

Having finally grown some hops myself, I can tell you that it was _not_
difficult (and I live in the south) and I found it rather enjoyable and
'cool' to do.  I'm very glad I started.  My first-year harvest was only
42 dried ounces, but the quantity increases as the plants get older; in
a thread in rec.crafts.brewing Denny Conn said that gets from 3 to 4
pounds from one plant -- http://tinyurl.com/2q7rlz -- but I'll be more
than happy if I can get just a pound from each plant, which is very
likely next year.

Cheers.

Bill Velek