hist-brewing: Follow-Up: I heard from Boston Beer Co. / Samuel Adams

Bill Velek billvelek at alltel.net
Fri Oct 19 09:06:36 PDT 2007

This morning I spoke with Kathy Wade, counsel for the Boston Beer
Company, and she forwarded my information to their IT department; I then
received a phone call from Jay Barry, Systems Manager at their company.
  He explained that their company made an error yesterday while trying
out a new estore development of some sort, and had loaded the wrong
database using their regular email list rather than one pertaining to
their estore.  In addition, the reason they had used an IP address
rather than a DNS is that they they are still in the test phase and just
hadn't gotten around to getting a domain name for that yet.  He said
that I was correct to be concerned, under the circumstances, but that
the email did come from the Boston Beer Company and that there is
nothing to be worried about.  He also explained that nobody's
information has been compromised in the least, and he apologized for the
inconvenience.  So this was a false alarm, but I hope everyone can
appreciate why I posted the warning, especially when a password has
never been needed to enter either the Samuel Adams website nor the
Boston Beer Company website, plus the use of an IP address (a classic
trait of phishing), and that I had never made a purchase at their estore
nor applied for a password.  It had all the signs of being a phishing
scheme, but fortunately it was not.  Sorry for any inconvenience I've
caused, but it's always better to err on the side of caution.

Cheers.

Bill Velek