hist-brewing: brewing with herbs

Joanna jbmail at isomedia.com
Tue Aug 28 20:57:09 PDT 2007

Right now we have a huge yarrow patch that I planted last year. I got too
busy to keep up harvesting the flowers, so I may end up buying some to round
it out a bit. The nettles grow all over our property and we pick them to dry
for tea, and eat the fresh tops steamed, in the spring.

We're trying to get a sustainable small stead going, so a lot of herbs is a
part of that. We also plan to have a beehive next spring so we are planting
tea/brewing/culinary/medicinal herbs for them too.

As for fresh vs.dried herbs, I don't have enough experience to draw any
conclusions. I used fresh nettles for my first braggot, and it turned out
very "herbal". I think using fresh herbs gives you more of the essence and
medicinal qualities of the herb you're using. That being said, I used dried
heather flowers (from a mail order company) for mead and noticed distinct
'medicinal' effects.

So I would say buy the best quality herbs you can, either dried or fresh
(farmer's market?) and see if you like it. If it meets your quality control
standards, then no need to plant a huge herb garden. If you don't like it,
it could be that particular herb isn't the right flavor for your tastes, or
maybe it's worth seeking out a source for fresh supplies and trying a batch.
This company has good quality products - http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

-Joanna of Seven Trees
 www.seventrees.blogspot.com