hist-brewing: Gose yeast

Clay Spence clayorama at gmail.com
Thu May 24 15:29:08 PDT 2007

Hi,

A couple of years ago I made a batch of Gose, following the recipe in
Mosher's 2000 (I think) Zymurgy article. It was delicious. However, I
did not find Danish ale yeast at the on-line stores I use, so I tried
Northern European ale yeast. Denmark's in Northern Europe, after all.
Since then I've read sources recommending Weizen yeast, and claims
that traditional fermentation was spontaneous. You can imagine that
these would give very different results from Northern European ale
yeast. What yeasts have any of you tried for Gose, and what would you
recommend?

Clay