hist-brewing: Norwegian juniper beers

Hal Neumann neander97 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 17:34:11 PDT 2007

I asked a friend from Gotland (Sweden) about "Viking
beers."

She sent me an old family recipe for a juniper & hop
beer brewed on the island called Dricku.  She
describes it thusly:
“Anymore, it is served at weddings as welcome drink
and at whole roasted lamb parties.  It's an "in"
thing, but the tradition goes way back.  There are
still certain farms that brew the stuff and to get
your hands on a nice supply is a coup! It means you
are connected. It is foggy or opaque and a sort of
dark amber color. Smokey and a little "flat" and
certainly no hops taste.”

Perhaps I’ll tweak the recipe sometime and give it a
try.  “1 normal sized juniper bush” :)  that’s
interesting :)
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Gotlandsdricku
Ingredienser: (ingredients)

15 kg malt, varav hälften rökt. (15 kg malt, half of
it smoked)
8 kg farinsocker eller vanligt socker. (8 kg brown
sugar or ordinry sugar)
1 normalstor enbuske (1 normal sized juniper bush)
1 näve humle (1 fistful of hops)
1 nypa bakjäst  (1 fistful of baking yeast)
70 L vatten (70 L water)

She also sent me this link:

Gotlands-Dricku
http://www.sandkvie.com/dricku.shtml