hist-brewing: Homebrewers Doing Good Works

Chipmonk3775@Gmail chipmonk3775 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 10:12:35 PDT 2006

I have been participating in this worldwide "grid computing" project since
February.  You've probably heard of the grid of home computers that looks
for extraterrestrial signals in cooperation with SETI.  This grid is
similar, only it uses algorithms to calculate molecular interactions for
AIDS research, human protein mapping, etc.

The World Community Grid was started by IBM, which is what got my attention.
That they're searching for ways to help humanity is another.  I've always
been concerned that having an "agent" running on my PC that someone I didn't
know could access was asking for trouble.  With the security they have in
place, and the reputation of the company that started it, I felt more at
ease with joining this group.  I have, and I must admit that everything they
claim has been true:  It doesn't interfere with my use of the computer, it
doesn't take a whole lot of disk space or internet bandwidth, and it's
secure (SSL encrypted communications to a secured website).

I joined the Homebrewers team, since I first read about the WCG from a
message by Bill Velek right here in this group.  The only competition is for
"points" - which are just bragging rights, they don't give you any
benefits - and "teams" compete for higher rankings as well as individuals.
We in the Homebrewers team are looking to show the world that we care - and
that beer makes us big and strong!

Here is a link for the HB team:
http://home.alltel.net/billvelek/world-community-page.html

I hope you consider joining the effort.
Thanks for reading,
Fred B

 " Our Mission, Our Work and You
World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public
computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.

Our work has developed the technical infrastructure that serves as the
grid's foundation for scientific research. Our success depends upon
individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change
the world for the better.

World Community Grid is making technology available _only_ to public and
not-for-profit organizations to use in humanitarian research that might
otherwise not be completed due to the high cost of the computer
infrastructure required in the absence of a public grid. As part of our
commitment to advancing human welfare, _all results will be in the public
domain_ and made public to the global research community. "