hist-brewing: Anyone using a "heat pipe" to cool fermenter? How about a peltier driven heatpipe?

Jean-Paul Blaquiere japester at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Feb 20 23:33:05 PST 2006

> On Feb 20, Bill Velek illuminated :

> I've been kicking an idea around for awhile and did a google-search but
> couldn't find anything directly on point.  A recent post about peltier
> devices made me think about this again.  What about coupling a peltier
> with a heatpipe?

the major problem you'll hit with a heat pipe, is that they only work in
a certain temperature range.  Making your own, while feasible, is far
from practical.  It's a long exercise in thermodynamics.

google should help you find the reports from a couple of people who have
done  this for CPU cooling.

A peltier device, might be a little more practical, even on its own.
Attach it to the top of a series of rods running down into the must.
might work ...

./jp
--
Jean-Paul Blaquiere               ||   Avatar of Computational
   japester at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au  ||   Thaumaturgy