hist-brewing: Brewing herbs

Wade Hutchison whutchis at bucknell.edu
Fri Nov 4 13:39:55 PST 2005

Claude,
Another caution with any smoked malt.  Be certain that your brewing
water has no chlorine in it.  Free Chlorine will combine with the
phenols in the smoke to produce chloro-phenols that are the distinctive
"band aid" flavor and aroma.  I had several batches go horribly awry
before I found this out.  If you can, check out a copy of the "Smoked
Beers" book from brewer's publication for further advice.  Good luck!
	-----Wade Hutchison

	whutchis at bucknell.edu
	Wade Hutchison, Development Engineer
	Bucknell University, College of Engineering
	http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/~whutchis