hist-brewing: Brewing herbs

ckammerzell at netscape.net ckammerzell at netscape.net
Thu Nov 3 20:56:59 PST 2005

I made a scottish strong ale using Sweet Gale and Heather tips.  This was a Pro Mash recipe that I upsized to 6.5 gallons.

The recipe called for 0.50 gm of Sweet Gale and 1 oz. of heather tips.  Also 1 oz of Kent goldings.
This created a Quality of bitternes barely perceptibly different from all hops.  Next time I intend to double the amount of heather.

Any Strong Ale recipe should work.  For my next batch I intend to use 1-2 lb. of peated malt.

Read Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers by Stephen Harrod Buhner, Brewers Publications, Boulder, CO for more info on herbs.  This should be availible at your library or by interlibrary loan.

Good Brewing,

Claude
Look What The New Netscape.com Can Do!
Now you can preview dozens of stories and have the ones you select delivered to you without ever leaving the Top Home Page. And the new Tool Box gives you one click access to local Movie times, Maps, White Pages and more.  See for yourself at http://netcenter.netscape.com/netcenter/