hist-brewing: Mini-Kegs and Carbonation

Charley Atchley Charley at lcc.net
Sun Apr 11 18:25:20 PDT 2004

I had a friend of mine that I really trust a lot take and cut a little over a foot out of a coke keg and weld it back together now it will lay on its side in the fridge. I removed the draw tube from the shortened keg and I put the tap directly on to the keg with no hose, and I can condition it right in the keg and pour it off from the keg without any problems. Since I drink 90% of what I drink at room temperature though, I keep the other nine coke kegs full sized and standing up right in a cooler box in the garage that was built just to hold ten coke kegs and eight carboys that has a small window unit air conditioner on it. I have to lager in three gallon batches since I don't have a refrigerator big enough to hold a 6.5 gallon carboy. I had a good friend take out most of the contents of the inside of his frige with a mini keg, but I think he had an infection that made it over pressure itself.

I have never used the mini kegs, and some would question the wisdom of pressuring a keg that has been welded on, but I have been using it now for about three years with no trouble.