hist-brewing: Re: brown malt conversion

Jeff Renner jeffrenner at comcast.net
Thu Mar 25 06:30:50 PST 2004

Christopher Swingley <cswingle at iarc.uaf.edu> wrote:

>I think I'll try North American 2-row first, although I understand that
>6-row has even more diatatic power.  Two-row will give me an opportunity
>to experiment with some of Jeff Renner's historical American styles
>without having to mess around with a protein rest.

I don't bother with a protein rest anymore, even with 6-row.  I have
fine clarity after lagering and great head retention.  Big commercial
breweries don't use this rest, either.  Apparently between the
breeders and the maltsters, it's taken care of for us.

Jeff
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, JeffRenner at comcast.net
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943