hist-brewing: Re: hist-brewing digest, Vol 1 #206 - 1 msg

Randy Mosher randymosher at rcn.com
Tue Mar 23 07:03:33 PST 2004

Sebastian,

You might try "Artemisia," which seems to be the correct genus name, despite
the way it's spelled on the site for the link you gave.

It appears to be sold sometimes as an ornamental plant, so you might have to
grow it yourself.

At certain times and places old-time brewers viewed wormwood species as
interchangeable for brewing purposes, so it's somewhat legitimate to
substitute mugwort (A. vulgaris) or A. absinthum, which were both used in
beer at that time.

--Randy Mosher