hist-brewing: Re: brown malt conversion

Christopher Swingley cswingle at iarc.uaf.edu
Mon Feb 9 14:12:18 PST 2004

Bob,

* JazzboBob at aol.com <JazzboBob at aol.com> [2004-Feb-08 17:08 AKST]:
> I agree with the responses posted to your inquiry about John
> Harrison's homemade and roasted malts. The suggestion from Randy
> Mosher to utilize a bit of American 6-row malt in your grain bill is
> the easiest way to convert your homemade brown malt.

I think I'll try North American 2-row first, although I understand that
6-row has even more diatatic power.  Two-row will give me an opportunity
to experiment with some of Jeff Renner's historical American styles
without having to mess around with a protein rest.  I've got a beverage
cooler mashtun and haven't yet worked out water infusion temperature
manipulation to my satisfaction.

> I have successfully brewed several of John's recipes with a a pound or
> two of 6-row added to the grist for the additional enzymes they
> provide.  John's suggested aging times for his beer recipes are
> essential to allow the many highly roasted and hopped beers to develop
> the proper balance and taste.

I made the 1850 Whitbread London Porter this weekend and am pleased to
report that Maris Otter (79% of grist) was sufficient to convert the
brown malt I added (15.5%).  I normally get around 65 - 68% extraction
efficiency and this batch was 70%, so I think the pale malt did it's
job.

A much harder challenge will be allowing this beer to sit in the bottle
for 4-5 months according to the aging time for the recipe!

Thanks,

Chris
Christopher S. Swingley          email: cswingle at iarc.uaf.edu
IARC -- Frontier Program         Please use encryption.  GPG key at:
University of Alaska Fairbanks   www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle/