hist-brewing: Re: brown malt conversion

JazzboBob at aol.com JazzboBob at aol.com
Sun Feb 8 18:08:25 PST 2004

I agree with the responses posted to your inquiry about John Harrison's
homemade and roasted malts. The suggestion from Randy Mosher to utilize a bit of
American 6-row malt in your grain bill is the easiest way to convert your
homemade brown malt.
I have successfully brewed several of John's recipes with a a pound or two of
6-row added to the grist for the additional enzymes they provide.  John's
suggested aging times for his beer recipes are essential to allow the many highly
roasted and hopped beers to develop the proper balance and taste.
Cheers,
Bob Grossman