hist-brewing: Re: hist-brewing digest, Vol 1 #201 - 3 msgs

Randy Mosher randymosher at rcn.com
Fri Feb 6 06:11:37 PST 2004

Chris,

I would make a couple of suggestions:

Maris Otter is indeed low in diastatic power. 40-50, compared to 120 for a
US 2-row lager, or 140-160 for a US 6-row. I don't think in a beer with a
good deal of brown and/or amber that a pound or two of more enzyme-active
malt would affect the flavor in any way.

It would be simple enough to do a teacup-sized test, and check a little of
the mash with iodine to see if it converts after an hour. You may also find
that a slightly longer time at lower temperatures (say 145 F) might treat
the enzymes a little more gently, although this will tend to produce a drier
beer.

My understanding of amber/biscuit is that it is supposed to convert itself.
In the old days, brown malt did as well, after a fashion, but it's clear we
can't count on this these days.

Amber/biscuit is made in more than one shade of roast, so you might search
out the palest, the thought being that that will be the most enzyme-active
as well.

Either amber or brown can be made at home, so you might add to your recipe
some paler grade of brown or amber. Be sure to let it rest for two weeks
after toasting to let the harshness waft away.

As Scotti notes, crystal malts are an altogether different beast,, and
weren't invented until 1880 or so (does anyone know the story?). IMO, they
are completely inappropriate in historical ales prior to that time.

Good luck!

--Randy Mosher

http://randymosherdesign.com

Please note my new email address: randymosher at rcn.com