hist-brewing: Brown malt equivalent?

Christopher Swingley cswingle at iarc.uaf.edu
Thu Feb 5 13:39:14 PST 2004

Greetings,

I've recently been trying my hand at brewing beers from historical
recipes.  Dr. John Harrison's _Old British Beers_ has been a great
resource for recipes, as well as for hints when trying to generate
modern equivalents from old books.

One problem I've been having, however, is dealing with the low diastatic
power of British pale malt since amber and brown malts (at least those
made in my oven, according to Harrison) don't have many useful enzymes
left.  Comments on rec.crafts.brewing regarding Maris Otter seem to
indicate I can expect it to convert itself, plus maybe 20% more by
weight of a non-enzymatic malt.

Harrison has a couple recipes in _Old British Beers_ that have higher
than 5:1 pale:brown/amber malt ratios, but in most cases he states that
you'll need powdered enzymes, or he provides a modern equivalent using
crystal and other malts.

Has anyone found reference, or done experiments to determine what an
appropriate, mashable replacement might be for brown (or amber) malt?
Do you suppose this can be a simple as reducing the home-roasted malts
to the requisite 20% of the grist, and then adding enough crystal to get
the color (and presumably some of the roasted flavor too) up to the
level you expect from the original recipe?

Any thoughts or experiences along these lines?

Thanks,

Chris
Christopher S. Swingley          email: cswingle at iarc.uaf.edu
IARC -- Frontier Program         Please use encryption.  GPG key at:
University of Alaska Fairbanks   www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswingle/