hist-brewing: favorite books

flotsam flotsam at ravensdomain.com
Tue Jan 27 05:17:08 PST 2004

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this list - great information, thanks for all the posts.

I was wondering what some of your favorite references are - write in and let me know!

The book "Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers: The Secrets of Ancient Fermentation" by Stephen Harrod Buhner got me started on the track of old and herbal brews - I've seen many references here to it already.  I just found the more obscure  "Early American Beverages" by John Hull Brown (1966), which has a lot of nice quirky colonial american stuff (anyone tried to make "flip"?).  And I have plenty of modern beer books.

Mainly I am interested in out-of-print gems that I won't bump into by accident.

Thanks,

Marshall Hampton
Minneapolis