hist-brewing: Need help with fruit press

Joyce Hersh msmead at doctorbeer.com
Sun Oct 5 13:54:47 PDT 2003

I bought a fruit press last year, and it works great for grapes and other
fruit that is left largely whole.  For things like apples and pears,
however, which are pulped before pressing, we have been draping cloth mesh
around the inside of the press, which work with only limited success.   The
problem is that the mesh inevitably breaks, sending out a high-pressure
stream of fruit pulp at a surprising velocity and distance, frequently
hitting me, my husband, our friends, the side of the garage, etc.

What do other people use to line their fruit presses?  Is there anything
more durable that I won't have to keep replacing constantly?

-- Joyce