hist-brewing: Newbie--writing a story & need historical reference for March beer

Suzanne Cooper ladybroughton at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 15:44:08 PDT 2003

Hi--I'm writing a story about two of our forebearers
from the early 1500's (for a family reunion) and I
need to know how early in history March beer was
brewed.

I understand that by the time of Gervase Markham (The
English Housewife, 1615), the term was in general use
and had a specific definition.  I wonder how much
earlier March beer had been brewed for it's own
properties.

I also understand that hops had been added to ale from
the late 1300's onward, and that hops marked the
difference (at that time) between ale and beer.  Is
this right?

Thanks so much for the help.

Suzie

=====
"With zeal I have been zealous for the Lord God of Hosts."  3 Kings 19:10