hist-brewing: Re: distillation

OudBruin at aol.com OudBruin at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 17:12:43 PDT 2003

Home distilatation is a topic near and dear to my heart, several years ago I
made some peach spirits, used an electric hot plate, and a big pressure cooker
with a big condensation coil(i used 20 or 30 feet of food grade plastic host
in an ice bath-it worked!)
the key to making good spirit verses bad spirit is to "lose" the
bigger(fusal& methyl) alcohols which have a higher boiling point. you want to not go over
173 degrees.
 i have also had a flertation with vacume distilatation, which is too complex
for joe shmoe-the results are good but with "BIG Brother" watching every
purchase of of stuff you can have fun with - you pay your money and you take your
risk..(remember that is also the stuff bombs and drugs are made with) when the
black helmeted, jack booted thugs that work for BATF or some other Agency
kick down your door.. don't cry to me.
My recomendation is to go LOW TECH - BIG BROTHER is less apt to watch you
buying a 32 quart canning pressure cooker from the local hardware store, than he
is if you buy a glass distillatation unit from edmond scientific.
also recomend a filter thru a carbon filtre.
Lastly, the FEDS are down on folks making spirits, that is one of the main
purposes of the BATF- those guys don't screw around-remember that little
farmhouse in Branch Texas??
In my home state, it is illegal to own a still. big fine, jail time, the
whole nine yards...
---
before you decide to distill, even a pint, it wont hurt to check your local
laws quietly!
than if you decide to do it- make sure you have adequate venting and your
neighbors won't smell your mash...
GOOD LUCK (and the devil's awa the exciseman)
Bruce