hist-brewing: Re: distillation

Laura Barrowman emmasmum at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 22 05:59:35 PDT 2003

Regarding the following message:  I am a bit confused by your language.

I am familiar with the 1986 federal law which made is legal to homebrew both wine & beer.  BUT it is a federal law and individual states could still disallow homebrewing.  I am unaware of the current states that still won't allow homebrewing, (I haven't followed this in years).  I do know that Michigan was one of the few, until very recently, that allowed homebrewing of wine but not beer.  I understood that most of the state laws regarding homebrewing were not anti-beer as much as beer-clueless.  I'm guessing the persons responsible for writing these laws just didn't think you could homebrew beer.  The federal law passed in 1986 was meant to clarify 'Homebrewing' so that the homebrewing of beer is the same as the homebrewing of wine.  [Hope I have made a little bit of sense.  If this is really important to anyone I can hunt through my ancient issues of Zymurgy.  The AHA was VERY interested in the 1986 law.]

I am very interested to know about the legality of home distillation.  I have been told it is way extra illegal, legal to produce 5 gallons and all sorts of things between.  It is too bad the government thinks modern day 'Cooter & Burnie' are inspired (& smart) enough to produce enough 'shine' to put a dent in their treasury.  My 90-year-old grandmother has told me about helping her aunts use a modified pressure cooker to make 'whiskey' during prohibition.  She said it was a huge pain and they only did it for special occasions.  She recalled them only getting a few bottles for a days labor.  She didn't recall what they boiled but her father did make wine & beer.

Laura