hist-brewing: distillation

pngwen at acm.org pngwen at acm.org
Fri Jul 18 20:16:13 PDT 2003

Ah, but there is a bill brought before the 107th congress to legalize home 
distilling for personal consumption.  It strikes the limitations of set forth
in the 1986 IRC (which is what keeps us from brewing at home).  Basically
the paragraphs it strikes are the ones which sets up the taxes for home 
distilled spirits.  Still, the paragraphs pertaining to the excise on sales
of the product remain.  So in effect, this makes it pretty much like home

The bill in question is HR3249 (house resolution 3249).

The summary of this bill is as follows:

"Amends the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow distilled spirits to be 
produced in dwelling houses, other connected structures, and certain other 

The bill was referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means on November 7,

This bill was introduced by Rep Bart Stupak from MI.

Anyway, if you want to see this legalized (as I do), write your congressman

Remember, it's HR3249 introduced in the 107th congress.  If some of your
congressmen are on the ways and means commitee, please, write them and let them
know it's important.  Even New Zealand let's their people brew, we should
at least be as free as they are!

The full text of the bill can be found by searching the bills of the 107th
congress on www.house.gov

Happy politicing!

The ever vigilant watcher of his government

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 AlannnnT at aol.com wrote:

> >>No, it's not "in regards to commercial production."
>        It affects you and me.  Note the last sentence.
> This is from the Q &A on the ATF web site. It clearly covers personal use. 
> Nothing ambigious here.
> The question, as written by the ATF : 
> Can I produce beer, wine or spirits for my personal or family use without 
> paying <A HREF="http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/atftaxes.htm">Federal excise tax</A> and filing Federal paperwork?  
>  The answer, written by the ATF:
> You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and 
> without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant.  [See 
> 26 U.S.C. <A HREF="http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/5601.shtml">5601</A> & <A HREF="http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/26/5602.shtml">5602</A> for some of the criminal penalties.]  There are numerous 
> requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for 
> personal or beverage use.  Some of these requirements are paying <A HREF="http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/19_49.htm">special tax</A>, 
> filing an extensive <A HREF="http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/19_151.htm">application</A>, filing a <A HREF="http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/19_231.htm">bond</A>, providing adequate <A HREF="http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/19_277.htm">equipment</A> 
> to measure spirits, providing suitable <A HREF="http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/19_273.htm">tanks</A> and <A HREF="http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/19_274.htm">pipelines</A>, providing a <A HREF="http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/19_131.htm">
> separate building</A> (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed <A HREF="http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/19_732.htm">records</A>, and 
> filing <A HREF="http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/19_792.htm">reports</A>.  All of these requirements are listed in<A HREF="http://www.atf.treas.gov/regulations/27cfr19.html"> 27 CFR Part 19</A><A HREF="http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/subpages/27cfrpart019.htm">.</A> 
>     source:
> http://www.atf.treas.gov/alcohol/info/faq/newfaqbackup.htm#s1
> Alan Talman

More information about the hist-brewing mailing list