hist-brewing: about marsh rosemary--

Steven Thomas fabricus at hvi.net
Wed Jul 16 18:05:23 PDT 2003

Haloo--
    Marsh rosemary is native to the far north, from the tundra/taiga
country south.  It probably doesn't need amazingly cold winters though; the
short stature is a means of hiding under the snow from the worst of the
cold.  The Siskiyou nursery folks seem to have no problem growing it in
southern Oregon.  I would think that if you get a month of cold weaving up
and down through the freezing mark it will do ok.
    I have used Labrador tea as a substitute for marsh rosemary in making
some gruits.  It adds a pleasant drying tannic quality from boil additions
(along the lines of black tea or raspberry leaf), and a pine
needle-herbal-fruity aroma from late additions.  If it's the drug effects
you're asking about, I haven't noticed any, although I havn't tried
optimizing that.  The drug properties are reputed to be enhanced by a long
boil, and I have a hard time forgoing the aromatics that get boiled
off.  Tannins have a bad rap in modern brewing, but they can be used to
ballance the malt seeetness like bitterness.
    My marsh rosemary will probably be a few years getting established
enough to sustain harvesting.
                 --Steve Thomas