hist-brewing: Marsh rosemary plants

Steven Thomas fabricus at hvi.net
Sun Jul 13 08:02:50 PDT 2003

Howdy--
    The Marsh rosemary plants from Siskiyou arrive as miniature shrubs,
about 4 inches high, spreading about 8 inches.
    I'm not surprised that the seeds collected from the wild didn't do
well.  It is little appreciated how much selection is involved in getting
seeds to come up reliably under cultivation.  Plants in the wild can be
very patient waiting for the optimal time to sprout, sometimes for
years.  A plant like marsh rosemary that does well spreading vegetatively
can afford to be quite patient.
    For matching the desired growing conditions, I have made an artificial
bog.  A steel tank buried flush with the yard, strrofoam flotation
supporting a peatmoss island, some goldfish to eat the mosquito larvae; the
marsh rosemary on the high points of the island, the bog myrtle with its
roots trailing in the water.  In the wild, bog myrtle is easiest collected
from a boat, as it grows right at the wet edge of the bog; marsh rosemary
(at least the labrador tea version) can be collected dryshod, as it grows
at the dryer rim of the bog against the woods.
             --Steve Thomas